Rb44

chevpol

Hi all :wave:

has anybody got any piccys of RB44's with a comms pod on the back?

I keep thinkig of them, and a comms pod would solve a problem I am struggling with.

All the best

Mark :cool:

PS, they never served with the RAF at all did they?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant provide pics of the comms pack. But here are a couple of the G.S version........

100_0365.jpg

100_0366.jpg

There was a lot of bad publicity about these when they were in service. I can only report good things about them. My father had 6 pre-production ones of these back in the early 80,s that he had bought direct from Vauxhall/Bedford,s Dunstable plant. They were originally badged as Dodge,before Renault. The original origins are from the U.S.

I cant provide pics of the comms pack. But here are a couple of the G.S version........

100_0365.jpg

100_0366.jpg

There was a lot of bad publicity about these when they were in service. I can only report good things about them. My father had 6 pre-production ones of these back in the early 80,s that he had bought direct from Vauxhall/Bedford,s Dunstable plant. They were originally badged as Dodge,before Renault. The original origins are from the U.S.

How did Bedford get into the equation the chassis was built at Winkliegh by Reynolds Boughton inclubing fitting the cab and bodied externally. as illustrated here the cab was dodge later renault, of note the original RB44 that both the Army and RAF had used a Ford A series cab. But your mention of Vauxhall/Bedford at Dunstable has me scratching my head ??

TED

How did Bedford get into the equation the chassis was built at Winkliegh by Reynolds Boughton inclubing fitting the cab and bodied externally. as illustrated here the cab was dodge later renault, of note the original RB44 that both the Army and RAF had used a Ford A series cab. But your mention of Vauxhall/Bedford at Dunstable has me scratching my head ??

TED

They must have bought all the tooling from G.M,as these were being made at the Bedford plant. The 6 we aquired were all pre-production models and badged as Dodge. They even had some of the test equipment still left in the cabs. 4 were chassis cabs,and two had bodies on them. 2 were 4x4 and the rest normal 2wd.

Of the 6.my father exported 4 out to the Jamaica and Barbados. The other 2 were sold here.

The Ford Series A is a different cab to the Dodge,and the Renault interest came a lot longer after.

Just spoke to my father. Although the Dodges were bought direct from Vauxhall,they werent built there,as dodge is owned by Chrysler. And Vauxhall/Bedford G.M

Even he was a bit miffed how they ended up at the Bedford plant,as there were loads there.They were all brand new. Mainly L.H.D. I naturally thought,that with the numbers sitting outside that they were manufactured there.

Maybe they had some sought of tie-up with Dodge U.K. All i do know is that they were had for a very,very good price. My father did try to buy some more. But i think someone higher up realised how much they were being sold forand put a block on it.

Just spoke to my father. Although the Dodges were bought direct from Vauxhall,they werent built there,as dodge is owned by Chrysler. And Vauxhall/Bedford G.M

Even he was a bit miffed how they ended up at the Bedford plant,as there were loads there.They were all brand new. Mainly L.H.D. I naturally thought,that with the numbers sitting outside that they were manufactured there.

Maybe they had some sought of tie-up with Dodge U.K. All i do know is that they were had for a very,very good price. My father did try to buy some more. But i think someone higher up realised how much they were being sold forand put a block on it.

Being a Luton boy and consequently having an interest in both Bedford and Commer my dad worked for Commer nee Dodge nee Renault from 1940 to 81 minus 3 years in the REs I though I would try and get my head round the Bedford connection .

I phoned RB at Winkliegh you can hear the shudders when you mention RB 44 !!! they put me onto a man that has been there since the first RB 44s were built in fact just after I visited the Winkliegh plant with the RAF in 82.

The original RB 44 was built at 2 sites, those for fire trucks at Winkliegh under the name the RB 44 Apollo and all others at Their plant at Amersham Bucks. These utilised an RB chassis and a Ford A series cab.

THe later RB 44 the MK 2 was on a modified Dodge 50 series chassis and cab. RB produced the steering, axles, transmissions at Winkliegh . THe vehicles were assembled at the Dodge(formerlyCommer) plant at Boscombe Rd Dunstable. I asked if there was any Vauxhall/Bedford connection -use of plant etc an emphatic no !

What I can tell you is the Commer(it will always be the commer plant to me) and the Bedford plant faced each other in Boscombe Rd. I believe the Bedford plant closed in 1983 the Dodge plant survived a few more years. I visited both plants as a kid, the Commer plant being the last in 1960.

Other than being proud of its manufacturing heritage I no longer admit any allegiance to Luton as it seems to have been handed over to the Taliban !! all evidence of the Commer Luton plant at Biscot Rd has long gone, The Bedford plant as Boscombe Rd is now a buisiness park but I am not sure about the Commer plant at Dunstable and of course if this don't pick up soon I think the last traces of Vauxhall will go from Luton.

Regards

TED.

Ted. I can only tell you what i found. This would have been very early 80,s.Just one other question. Can anyone point to what the fundamental flaws in the vehicle were. As all i read about is former service people moaning about it. But never giving a definative answer at what the problems were.

Can anyone point to what the fundamental flaws in the vehicle were. As all i read about is former service people moaning about it. But never giving a definative answer at what the problems were.

Mark,

I recollect them coming in to service, when I was working for the army, we did not see many in workshops for some time as very soon in to their service the braking fault showed up and they were put off the road. Memory says that periodic exercise had to be done within confines of camps, etc, but not to be driven on the road. I think it could have been something like 18 months before a solution was reached. Personally, I was not involved with this modification, but some were done at the workshop, my feeling was that it was basically the same old problem as the Willys jeep had, whereby on braking the axle moved back and pulled the steering. How these faults are never found on evaluation trials beats me :(

Mark,

I recollect them coming in to service, when I was working for the army, we did not see many in workshops for some time as very soon in to their service the braking fault showed up and they were put off the road. Memory says that periodic exercise had to be done within confines of camps, etc, but not to be driven on the road. I think it could have been something like 18 months before a solution was reached. Personally, I was not involved with this modification, but some were done at the workshop, my feeling was that it was basically the same old problem as the Willys jeep had, whereby on braking the axle moved back and pulled the steering. How these faults are never found on evaluation trials beats me :(

Richard. Did they find a cure for this problem??.

Richard. Did they find a cure for this problem??.

Mark,

The period I was talking about was about 1995, a mod kit came out, as I mentioned, seem to think it was not a full cure, might be wrong. There were questions in the House over it, as the papers picked up on all these new trucks standing out of use. Take a read of this link;

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1995/feb/09/rb44-army-light-vehicles

Mark,

The period I was talking about was about 1995, a mod kit came out, as I mentioned, seem to think it was not a full cure, might be wrong. There were questions in the House over it, as the papers picked up on all these new trucks standing out of use. Take a read of this link;

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1995/feb/09/rb44-army-light-vehicles

Cheers Richard. I have read that report before.I still wouldnt mind trying one.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all :wave:

has anybody got any piccys of RB44's with a comms pod on the back?

I keep thinkig of them, and a comms pod would solve a problem I am struggling with.

All the best

Mark :cool:

PS, they never served with the RAF at all did they?

Hello mate. I was at Withams last Saturday to buy a Bedford and they have about 100+ RB44's in stock, including reserve units, some fitted with winches and about 10 fitted with the very rare comms bodys. If I was you I'd get up there quick to get one before they all disappear. These have just arrived and are not on the website. Price is another matter though, I would say they will be expensive.

• 1 month later...
I know 19 Sqn RAF Regiment at Brize Norton had them for the Rapier kit, and they really really didnt like them, but as you say im not entirely sure why.

this might be a bit of a long shot, but does anybody have any piccys of 19 sqn's RB44's?

Mark

They don't list the open hours on the website, but they have never been open on Sundays. No apointment needed these days, but you can't really turn up for a walk around. If you want to look at something specific they will help you out, but it's not like browsing used cars. You might also have to wait a while for someone to deal with you.

Buying from stock

We hold vast stocks of MoD vehicles on our premises - these can be purchased 6 days a week.

All vehicles on sale are held in stock at our premises.

Our sales team will be pleased to assist buyers - but we strongly recommend prospective buyers contact us a few days in advance to ensure we can give you our best attention.

Whilst most vehicles held in stock are available for immediate despatch, selected vehicles go thorough our value added refurbishment programme to ensure that the vehicles we offer are of a higher standard.

Edited by sirhc