Needle gun accessories

fv1609

Question

I've been using this needle gun successfully for about a year. But I have discovered it came with 3 accessory tips & a rather curious spring.

I cannot see how I might attach one of the tips. The needle assembly is held in at each end of the main barrel by circlips that are recessed & not easy to get to. As for what the spring thing does, I cannot visualise!

DSCF1474.jpg

11 answers to this question

I've been using this needle gun successfully for about a year. But I have discovered it came with 3 accessory tips & a rather curious spring.

I cannot see how I might attach one of the tips. The needle assembly is held in at each end of the main barrel by circlips that are recessed & not easy to get to. As for what the spring thing does, I cannot visualise!

Clive,

The spring retains the chisel ends other wise they keep flying out of the gun. As the photo is the large open end of spring winds on to the gun, the smaller end retains the chisel around its flange.

Clive,

The spring retains the chisel ends other wise they keep flying out of the gun. As the photo is the large open end of spring winds on to the gun, the smaller end retains the chisel around its flange.

So Richard how would one remove the 'needles' to accomodate the tip?

I can see knurling on the outer of yours, try unscrewing it.

It just goes round & round. It seems to be restrained by the large circlips at each end.

There are 4 small holes about 5mm diam mutually at right angles to each other around the needle chamber. You can see one of them in the photo, they have no obvious purpose.

I'm glad this isn't a mystery tool question question, I wouldn't be doing very well!

Thanks all. I can't remember having had instructions with it. Even so it just says unscrew the needle assembly but it doesn't unscrew just goes round & round.

I assume that I should be turning the red barrel & seperating it from the butt, rather than the needles in the inner collar from the grroved tube (#17).

The odd thing is in the diagram, item #17 which I take to be the red grooved tube has no hole in it, yet the bit that seems to stay (#15) has a hole at the side & I assme 4 in all. I don't know what the holes are meant to do.

ISTR when I first had it that the needle holder did tend to unscrew with use. Perhaps now the thread is either graunched or jammed with debris?

The odd thing is in the diagram, item #17 which I take to be the red grooved tube has no hole in it, yet the bit that seems to stay (#15) has a hole at the side & I assme 4 in all. I don't know what the holes are meant to do.

They look like they should have grub screws in them (part 17) on the website

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat84-pistol-grip-needle-scaler-hammer

Thanks all. I can't remember having had instructions with it. Even so it just says unscrew the needle assembly but it doesn't unscrew just goes round & round.

That's correct Clive. You must be trying to grip the needles. If worn, they can be changed by popping out that large circlip you mentioned earlier and replacing with a new bundle from Machine Mart.

I assume that I should be turning the red barrel & seperating it from the butt, rather than the needles in the inner collar from the grroved tube (#17).

Clive, that's what you should be doing. It should unscrew easily enough.

I think they are exhaust ports

ISTR when I first had it that the needle holder did tend to unscrew with use. Perhaps now the thread is either graunched or jammed with debris?

Might be. It should unscrew easily enough though.

Mine fell to bits after 12 months, so yours is in better nick than mine. If you need the instructions you can email their Tech Dept and they'll email them back the next day, or same day if you do it early enough.

Nige

Many thanks Lee, yes there should indeed be grub screws. I've only just come in & hadn't seen your post.

As the needle tube kept spinning, I removed the circlip holding the needles in. Under that was a thick disc with protrusion into the hammer mechanism.

I could then see the black threaded bush which was spinning inside the red outer tube. I squeezed the outer tube in a vice, I could then unscrew the complete assembly.

Looking at the holes, I could now see a thread in each. Looking at the large threaded bush, I could just make out marks that must have been made by grub screws. The link you put confirmed this.

Unfortunately once I had dismantled it & put it back together it all kept undoing quite quickly with the vibration.

So I need to sort out some grub screws. It all seems very easy now I've seen inside! Oh the object was to use the tips but they gave less access ito narrow spaces, so bit of a wasted exercise!

PS Nige thanks as well, our posts crossed.