A FRAME JEEP

T corbin

Question

18 answers to this question

Tony,

have a look here, about halfway down the page..

http://www.ntta.co.uk/faq/default.htm

I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit? Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

I have always understood that it is illegal to A-frame a jeep unless it is broken down and being recovered or its braking system is linked to that of the towing vehicle.

Maximum towing weight for an unbraked trailer is 750kg after which overrun brakes are permissible up to a maximum of 3500kg, above this weight the trailers brakes must be liked to the towing vehicle in such a way that they operate when the footbrake is applied. All these comments presuppose that the towing vehicle is plated for the appropriate weight.

I have always understood that it is illegal to A-frame a jeep unless it is broken down and being recovered or its braking system is linked to that of the towing vehicle.

Maximum towing weight for an unbraked trailer is 750kg after which overrun brakes are permissible up to a maximum of 3500kg, above this weight the trailers brakes must be liked to the towing vehicle in such a way that they operate when the footbrake is applied. All these comments presuppose that the towing vehicle is plated for the appropriate weight.

An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

OK here goes...IT IS NOT ILLEGAL......:-) only stipulation "plod" has is that the jeep has a cable attached braking system attached to the existing brake circuit of the Jeep so that you can have rear wheel braking...

we have A framed our jeeps THOUSANDS of miles......with no problems

also dont forget to disconnect the speedo.... :?

of course there is another way to do it LEGALLY

have someone sit in the driver seat of the jeep whilst its being towed.... :shake:

Regards

Lloyd

Hi all,

i have always understood that all towed items (trailers, jeeps) wit a kerbside weight in excess of 750KG needs to have a braking system :shake: i know that somehave modified a frames to have simple braking system (see Jessie the Jeeps article)

This also only applies if you have a pre January 1997 licence (cat B+ E and C1+E) ?

Also keep in mind that as a general rule vehicles are lighter by design these days (mainly family cars) unbraked trailers may only be towed by a vehicle with a kerbside weight of at least twice the actual in use weight of the trailer E.G. ..... if the towing vehicle has a kerbside weight of 1000 KG it is restricted to a towing an unbraked trailer of 500K.G. including load even if if the trailer has a MAM (maximum authorised mass....gross weight in English) of 750 K.G.

You can take a test to to the level of C1+E (age dependent) to tow larger trailers etc

Note those who have an older style license will also need to take the test to exceed the 8250 KG.

I have tried to keep it simple :schocked:

Ashley

OK here goes...IT IS NOT ILLEGAL......:-) only stipulation "plod" has is that the jeep has a cable attached braking system attached to the existing brake circuit of the Jeep so that you can have rear wheel braking...

Not according to The National Trailer & Towing Association...

I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit? Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

So a jeep trailer is ok to tow behind a jeep ? . Ben her behind a GMC or bigger? My M5 Bomb trailer has electric brakes that are controlled by the towing vehicle by a leaver on the steering column It also has switch that puts the breaks on if the trailer disconnects . Is this within the law As for driving the jeep 2 drivers 3 vehicles .TONY

Towing any vehicle that HAS NOT broken down by use of an A frame is an illegal practice.

A frames are designed to be used as an emergency measure to move a disabled vehicle from a place of danger. This is why the AA and other breakdown organisations stopped using them.

Using them seems to be universal but as usual, if something happens and the traffic Police attend, you could be answering some awkward questions.

Thanks for all the usefull info guys.

Mark....you're obviously far more clever than me and can drive two vehicles at once, i'd be happy to recieve your instruction..........

Kind regards

Casper

Towing any vehicle that HAS NOT broken down by use of an A frame is an illegal practice......

This is quite annoying as my Jeep towed my better and safer on its A-Frame than it does on the flat bed, despite that being as low and wide as I could make it, and the removable braked A-Frame I made took no space to store at home or at an event.

If the Jeep can be modifed to make it comply with current trailer regulations, effectively becoming a trailer carrying an engine and vehicle body as a load, would it then be legal? All the arguements I've heard relating to it being illegal is because of trailer regulations.

Steve

My M5 Bomb trailer has electric brakes that are controlled by the towing vehicle by a leaver on the steering column It also has switch that puts the breaks on if the trailer disconnects . Is this within the law As for driving the jeep 2 drivers 3 vehicles .TONY

Re electrically operated brakes, lever operated by the driver, , I do not believe this is legal, because the trailer has to brake when the towing vehicle brakes. For trailers over 3500 Kg this has to be power braking in synchronisatiohn with the towing vehicle, between 750 and 3500, over-run brakes are accepted, since this come on (with varying degrees of efficiency) when the tow vehicle brakes. Since you can choose whether or not to apply the trailer brakes, a situation can arise when the towing vehicle is braking, but the trailer isn't. That I believe is illegal.

Edited by antarmike