From behind the bushes

Great War truck

If you have read MMI this Month you will know what this is about. If not, you wont.

Tim,

I don't see MMI, but willhave a guess fom what I can see of the rad, could it be a LGOC lorry, based on a bus chassis. Thinking lorry because of the brush bar on the front and why it would be in MMI...........a WW1 army lorry then?

Tim,

I don't see MMI, but will have a guess fom what I can see of the rad, could it be a LGOC lorry, based on a bus chassis. Thinking lorry because of the brush bar on the front and why it would be in MMI...........a WW1 army lorry then?

Well you are missing out, it is great magazine.

You are just about there. It is in fact an AEC Y Type from WW1. This one has been parked up in the same location for at least 60 years probably more. The engine and gearbox were apparently removed by the Fleet Air Arm (who are just down the road at Yeovilton) during WW2 for one of their lorry's.

Apart from that it is remarkably complete, having the original wooden body and hood bows still in situ.

Penventon2008056.jpg

Penventon2008022.jpg

Penventon2008038.jpg

The existence of this truck has been known for at least 30 years, but the owner refused to part with it. He has now died and the farm it resides in is being cleared. It was quite likely that it would have been scrapped if an MV enthusiast had not noticed it while considering the farm buildings for redevelopment. Anyway, it has now been saved and the new owner is looking for a suitable Tyler engine. Can anyone help?

Tim (too)

I saw a lorry with a composite wood metal chassis like that being restored at Chatham Dockyard a few year ago. The owner was an unhappy man as he had to move it and a chain drive Scammell, as the museum wanted the space and he had nowhere to keep them. He had recast the radiator but I can't remember it looking like that one, did other makers use wood/metal chassis?

The sandwiching of wood between metal was used by several manufacturers. It is quite possible that you saw a Daimler Y Type, as there was a partially restored one that came from around that area. If i remember correctly, the chassis was painted white.

It is quite strange how WW1 trucks keep turning up. Steve just put me on to this one which was restored as a bus in the 1950's. It featured in a well known film. Would anybody like to have a guess which film it was?

Barton.jpg

Tim (too)

Well you are missing out, it is great magazine.

The engine and gearbox were apparently removed by the Fleet Air Arm (who are just down the road at Yeovilton) during WW2 for one of their lorry's.

Tim (too)

Am I right in saying it didn't have a gearbox, rather it had a "chainbox" or am I getting confused with the AEC B type bus of a similar age?

The three speed box had three chain drives running from the input shaft to the output shaft. These used toothed chain running on different ratio sprockets. The ratio being selected by engaging one of three dog clutches locking the free running sprockets to one of the shafts. In this design there are no gears so it can't be called a gearbox can it?

Tim, digging about in the memory banks, (it must have been 10 yrs ago) I think the radiator that I saw fitted at the time was a Daimler one but a little less plain somehow, and the owner said it was the wrong one for it. I remember thinking that is a lot of trouble to go to for such small details. If that one is the result it was certainly worth it!

Thanks for posting those pix, the dedication and patience needed to restore such rare old vehicles always impresses me!