German Goliath tank weapon

abn deuce

a couple of photo's of remote control Goliath's

767186713_f2e0e184fe.jpg

French caption

Des soldats britanniques du personnel de plage avec trois mini-véhicules tactiques chenillés.

Il s'agit de tank allemand miniature, téléguidé par fil et bourré de 60 kg d'explosifs destinés à abattre des fortifications adverses. Codifié : SdKfz. 302 "Goliath E-Motor" (E pour électrique, deux moteurs un par chenille) de la famille Ladungsträger (engin porteur de charge) utilisé comme mine mobile anti-débarquement, autre nom Springer

En arrière plan un camion AEC Matador et à gauche un Dukw.

Le mini tank Goliath est visible également sur la p012602 à Utah et p012970 secteur Omaha

767188725_b69f826623.jpg

French caption

Des sapeurs américains manipulent des mini-véhicules tactiques chenillés dans une pâture.

Tank allemand miniature, téléguidé par fil dont on voit le rouleau sous le capot ouvert et bourré de 60 kg d'explosifs destinés à abattre des fortifications adverses. Il s'agit d'un "Goliath E-Motor" (E pour électrique, deux moteurs un par chenille) " utilisé comme mine mobile anti-débarquement, autre nom Springer

Nom allemand : SdKfz 302 de la famille Ladungsträger (engin porteur de charge)

voi

768049518_30f0262655.jpgr : p012602 et p012953

La censure a maquillé les casques des soldats mais on reconnaît l'arc de cercle blanc des 5th et 6th Engineer Special Brigade (ESB) du secteur d'Omaha

Au pied d'un blockhaus et de piles de sacs de sables épars, un tank allemand miniature, filo-guidé et bourré de 60 kg d'explosifs destinés à abattre des fortifications adverses. Il s'agit d'un "Goliath E-Motor" (E pour électrique, deux moteurs un par chenille) utilisé comme mine mobile anti-débarquement.

Nom allemand : SdKfz 302 de la famille Ladungsträger (engin porteur de charge)

autre nom Springer

construit à 2650 exemplaires environ, d'une efficacité douteuse

Edited by abn deuce

Bovingtons got one of these, Im sure. Werent they for UXB or mine clearance?

Rick,

these were guided by wires into enemy lines (strongholds m.g. nest etc) or towards armoured vehicles (light ? ) as opposed to demo/mine fields

Ashley

Rick,

these were guided by wires into enemy lines (strongholds m.g. nest etc) or towards armoured vehicles (light ? ) as opposed to demo/mine fields

Ashley

Spot on Ash and Andy, yes there is one at Bovy, saw one a couple of weeks ago.

True , they sufferer numerous failures from the control wires breaking which unreeled from the back and from poor batteries which ran out of power before they got close to targets. Still a nasty beast if you were underfire and one of those was headed your way with its load of explosives from what I recall of them being written about in books, but could be corrected .

From what i recall this was actually a French idea, when the Germans invaded in 1940 the company which made the prototype (a well known company which made halftrack cars/trucks ) threw it in to a lake. Recovered by the Germans who studied and bettered the design in to the Goliath. Several other vehicles ([read tanks], minenraumwagen) were used ,eg one known as the Springer (i am sure there is also one of these at Bovvy)

Though initially electrically driven with a capacity to carry 65kg`s of explosives there were several design variants the final type i believe was driven by a NSU two stroke engine with a carrying capacity of 75kg`s of explosive.

From the top of me `ead but actually quite an interesting life story for this small MV.

Ashley

Given the size it shouldnt be too hard, the tricky bit would be the tracks.

Yes,.......have come to the same conclusion, looking at some pic's;........... :roll:

One to keep in mind, though..................always fancied something radio controlled. :whistle:

if you build a replica it could be radio controlled....a project for those guys who built robots for the TV show Robot Wars? , but the originals were wire controlled .

As we have seen in this thread, the original was a one-shot weapon and prone to failure due to broken wires.

However I doubt anyone who makes a replica will intend to turn it into a smoking hole at the end of the display. Whay I would be tempted to do is use something like Don 10 or steel-cored washing line to represent the command wires, whilst actually controlling it by radio.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi al,

i am surprised that they who make the large scale tanks etc have not had ago.

On a side note we demoed a tracked wood chipper to day ....remote control with a range apparently of up to 200 meters befor the engine cut out with the weakened signal.

Gave a crowd of people a fright as it drove down the road (whilst i sat in the van) and stopped at a bus stop before pulling away again and loading it self on to a trailer :-D

Ashley

Hi al,

i am surprised that they who make the large scale tanks etc have not had ago.

On a side note we demoed a tracked wood chipper to day ....remote control with a range apparently of up to 200 meters befor the engine cut out with the weakened signal.

Gave a crowd of people a fright as it drove down the road (whilst i sat in the van) and stopped at a bus stop before pulling away again and loading it self on to a trailer :-D

Ashley

Is it now possible to take your H licence whilst sat in a van then? :rofl: