Bedford MW's in service gallery

rippo

Hello,

lots of pictures of the MW's in service about and different ones keep turning up. It would be intresting to see how many we can find.

ssbedford1.jpg

beute_bedford_stafwagen_pic_1.jpg

A nice german conversion, looks similar to the picture in the morris gallery. I wonder how many of these were made.

bedford3.jpg

One from the factory. There are other factory photo's around but i haven't come across them yet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

232.jpg

881.jpg

926b_1_sbl.jpg

991.jpg

1146_ebay_102.jpg

1214.jpg

2005-05-23-167.jpg

2005-05-24-016.jpg

445808705rvtoap_ph_940.jpg

5941834225002pojazd3.jpg

2003975667932824996_rs.jpg

2003996816453595669_rs.jpg

bedfordmw3.jpg

bedford_mw_portee-1.jpg

bedford_mw_portee-2.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top picture looks like one of the railway work shops.

The top piccy is a Bedford OXA lorry 30 cwt 4x2 armoured anti tank, built after Dunkirk to equip mobile home defence units. The caption says its a MK 2 Armadillo All the info I have says all MKs of the Armadillo had wooden boxes twin skins, the gap between filled with pebbles.

We also have a thread on Armadillos The vehicle in that shot which is clearly visible in the Britain at War colour shot is also an anti tank lorry.

I believe many were reassigned to airfield defence once the anti tank role was subsumed one the army had carried out proper re-equipment post 1940.

TED

The jeep in the top right hand picture seems to be pulling a rather large trailer ??

Ashley

Ashley,

That photo is taken outside Pearsons in Liverpool. They de-crated and assembled vehicles for US and British government during the war and overhauled vehicles. The photo has been discussed along with others, on Maple Leaf Up forum in the past, it shows a whole range of different vehicles there and might have been a posed shot.

Ashley,

That photo is taken outside Pearsons in Liverpool. They de-crated and assembled vehicles for US and British government during the war and overhauled vehicles. The photo has been discussed along with others, on Maple Leaf Up forum in the past, it shows a whole range of different vehicles there and might have been a posed shot.

Cheers for the info Richard.

Ashley

Some nice pictures you can see the development of the mw. The cabbed one in post 17, must have been the first of the later version, its got all the early features and the doors and windscreen too. Looks like the factory in the back ground.

beutebedfordmwdwithapakbf2.jpg

Edited by rippo

Thats intresting an MWV, not heard of that before. I can see the bodies different can you tell us anything else richard? I take it the canvas fastened on the inside? :tup::

Rippo,

The Van was a classification of army vehicle that seemed to fade out early in the war. The first MW models were MWD GS with aero screens and canvas cab, but no tilt frame. There was a contract, Cont. No. V3904, for 1,000 MWV vans. I think the canvas was a permanent fixture was no ropes can be seen on them, possibly the canvas was screwed to a frame inside? The MW was not the only one to do a van version, there were Ford WOT2 vans as well, and I know a few have turned up in Australia.

I'm liking this topic.. Some Bedford MW's did make it down here to the antipodeas.. Aust. and N.Z. Over the years I have seen around 12-15 of them .... never seen a early aero screen version , only the later type with the metal doors and full windscreen. They are usually found in a horrid state with no woodwork surviving at all and rust is a major problem. I'm not aware of one having being restored down here in Aust. which is a shame. Being a non-standard vehicle over here, they were disposed of very quickly ... 1945 ish.. Years of neglect and abuse by civilian owners means all you come across these days are remains ... I have seen one with the chassis almost rusted right through ! Some of them went into bush fire brigades and these are normally found in better shape... although these had a hard life too .. depending on the volunteers who drove them to perform basic maintenance. I have a ex-fire brigade CS8 here and it's the worst one I've got ..it's a shocking mess of neglect.

I think one or two restored MW's exist in NZ . The cost of importing parts probably turns many people off attempting to rebuild one. Like me and the CS8's.. you need to find 3 or 4 wrecks before you can gather enough bits .

With all of these 15cwts down here, I've only ever come across the bog standard GS versions ... Although the exception to that was: I did half own two WOT2D's .. the van version ..not much different from the GS models ..

Mike

Edited by goanna