Help me with my pig :)

Mikdogedog

Hi there you all

I just recently purchased a Humber MKII Pig and I am in need of a left side CV axle, anyone have one for sale or know where I could purchase one?

Also I have a question about how to get it to go forward. We have it running EXCELLENT BUT, we can't get it to go forward or backwards, is there a secret on how to shift it? Whats the lever by the shifter do?

ALL tips welcome

Thanks

Mike

651-271-4533 US

HI Mike welcome to the forums

Why not post a hi in the welcome box to let us know who you are

Cv axle dont know but this guy on ebay is braking one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Humber-Pig-Gearboxes-MK2-Military-Vehicle-Ex-Army_W0QQitemZ220405372109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET?hash=item220405372109&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Gearbox wise i've just recently got mine and it moves with the gears and the other lever seems to move when i select 1st gear but don't worry someone will be along with more in depth info

Jamie

The lever to the left is to select 4wd.

It automatically engages when 1st gear is selected because of the weight of the pig and weak back axles, 4wd takes the stress of the rear axle to get it moving.

Edited by Adam Elkins

To add to the drivetrain problem i'm having, I need to know a little info about how the transmission and front transfer case works together to go from 4wd full time in first, and then automatically switches to 2wd in all other gears?? I think this may be the reason of why we aren't getting any forward motion from the front wheels.

Also, what is the longevity of the clutches....and is there any adjustment?? Keep in mind, I don't have a rear axle installed, so when the trans is in 1st, and you let out on the clutch pedal all the way, the driveshaft (which i can see through the floorboard) going to the rear wheels spins fine, like it should on a non-posi diff, BUT it starts from a creep, and then picks up speed...unlike in a normal manual trans setup where if the clutch was popped, the driveshaft would instantly start spinning at engine speed. This tells me there is either a clutch issue, or a major adjustment issue with that part of the driveline. Since it would start rotating at such a snails pace, i held the driveshaft with my hand through the flooboard, and was able to actually stop it from turning!!!

Going to get under it tomarrow, and see if i can see any problems with the linkage, but as of now....not positive what is happening. Any experience with the 4wd switchover would also be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Howdy from the US, I will post some more pics of the customized pig, we would enjoy hearing your thoughts on how she looks.

Terrible :nono: the hobby is about preserving MV's not pimping them up... willing to donate a gallon of petrol & box of matches to help you out...

HMVF-Dedicated to those who made history and to those who preserve it.

No apologies for my comments...

Edited by Marmite!!

Sorry if we hurt your feelings and no apologies needed, every one has the right to thier opinion, some will love it (the folks at the Ropkey Armored Museum thought it was cool) and some will hate it, but look at it this way, it beats selling it to a scrap yard and crushing it!

THIS PIG LIVES ON!!! :yay:

Just think, how nice it would be to have this on the battle field being shot at while watching a nice movie like Star Wars and sitting in a nice Air Conditioned Humber Pig...LOL

DSC04781.JPG

DSC04780.JPG

Cool man..............that really shakes my tree.:cool2: :-D

I like the idea of a luxurious interior, after all, you have a user friendly interior to drive it to shows, and somewhere equally nice to sleep in if that's possible. Not many people leave their vehicles open at shows so few will see it. No doubt there will be others whose interior may be open for inspection. I don't see a problem with a conversion like this as long as it can easily be converted back to standard. The outside can look 100% original without giving away the state of the furnishings.

As the new President Obama said "You can put lipstick on a pig to make it look better, but at the end of the day......it's still a pig" har har har........

..........snort.........now you've started me off with me posh laugh again. :-D:rofl::rofl:

I quite like that. CW is running along similar lines with the conversion work on the Champ.

That thought had crossed my mind, but being a humble forum member with little knowledge of military vehicles, I hardly dared write such a comment about one so highly respected on this forum. :n00b:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Cool man..............that really shakes my tree.:cool2: :-D

I like the idea of a luxurious interior, after all, you have a user friendly interior to drive it to shows, and somewhere equally nice to sleep in if that's possible. Not many people leave their vehicles open at shows so few will see it. No doubt there will be others whose interior may be open for inspection. I don't see a problem with a conversion like this as long as it can easily be converted back to standard. The outside can look 100% original without giving away the state of the furnishings.

As the new President Obama said "You can put lipstick on a pig to make it look better, but at the end of the day......it's still a pig" har har har........

..........snort.........now you've started me off with me posh laugh again. :-D:rofl::rofl:

Never try to teach a pig to sing,it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.I could never condone a conversion such as this:rofl:

It does have a certain appeal! not a shred of originality, but then its yours and your paying the bills, so whatever floats your boat, at least it is out there and certain to "Polarise" opinion (which is a good thing!)

I like the chrome dancing pole in the centre for your "Hoes", CW do you think something similiar on a Champ would upset the rivet counters.....give Paris H a call!

I'll be sticking with the original Puritanical sadist interior and British Fighting Green exterior on mine for the near future though! :-D

Edited by Adam Elsdon

• 1 month later...

The easiest way to fix your broken axles is to find some humber one ton axels either front or rear as the parts you need are the same in both axles (there are still a few sat in scrap yards and hedges rotting away) and rob them for the tractor joints most later pigs had chobham joints fitted and they are getting real hard to find. one ton axle parts will do the job but you have to pull away gently not to much gas or you get a nasty clunk and bang goes your drive again. I repaired my pig this way and as far as I know its still ok. also as mine was up armoured I took out the extra armour to lighten the load on the axles about 3 tons in all if I remember rightly.also remember to take it out of 4wd on the lever once you have pulled away or you get wind up in the drive train and another nasty bang. Hope this is of some help to you.

Edited by wildside

There was a scrap Humber 1 ton in a garage in N Wales free to any one who would take it away. Haven't passed for 18 months but it may still be there. Anybody interested let me know and I will PM you details.