South Eastern Command?

marlin.45

Apparently my 109 originates in some way from this organisation but I can find very little info.

All I have found so far from a retired military aquaintance is it formed part of the national defence force formed after WW2. SEC was based (not surprisingly) in the South East of the UK - so not that far from where I am now.

See my avtar for the SEC command logo taken from the 109 found under 4 layers of green :-\

Anyone have any links or info?

Paul

Edited by marlin.45

Apparently my 109 originates in some way from this organisation but I can find very little info.

All I have found so far from a retired military aquiantance is it formed part of the national defence force formed after WW2. SEC was based (not surprisingly) in the South East of the UK so not that far from where I am now.

See my avtar for the SEC command logo taken from the 109 under 4 layers of green :-\

Anyone have any links or info?

Paul

Paul,

Not South Eastern Command.........it is South East District, covers from Kent to Hampshire.

I was just following Clives's comments from a few months back.

http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=4760&highlight=

Have any info on SED then?

Not being signed on to EMLRA forum, I do not know what Clive's comments were, but in the era that your Land Rover served, that is the correct name. I worked for the Army within SED, and our units vehicles carried that sign, until all signs were discontiued.

SED HQ was Aldershot from memory.

I was guided by "Army Badges & Insignia since 1945" by Rosignoli 1973.

He captions the badge as South-Eastern Command but in the text states "The South-Eastern Command was disbanded in 1944 and it's former territory absorbed by the Southern and Eastern Commands." This is a little curious given the title of the book!

"The formation sign of the latter was changed in 1947." But there is no indication to what. A number of District signs are shown but none for SED.

The signs should have been discontinued under a CRAOC order in Sept 1977.

I was guided by "Army Badges & Insignia since 1945" by Rosignoli 1973.

He captions the badge as South-Eastern Command but in the text states "The South-Eastern Command was disbanded in 1944 and it's former territory absorbed by the Southern and Eastern Commands." This is a little curious given the title of the book!

"The formation sign of the latter was changed in 1947." But there is no indication to what. A number of District signs are shown but none for SED.

The signs should have been discontinued under a CRAOC order in Sept 1977.

Clive,

I also have that book but it is not that comprehensive. Also, Commands were re-named Districts some time in 60's or 70's.

Clive,

I also have that book but it is not that comprehensive. Also, Commands were re-named Districts some time in 60's or 70's.

I think it is the only full book I have seen that bothers to concern itself with postwar markings. Trouble is it tries to cover "all" nations, to my mind a whole book could be devoted to British postwar markings with defined dates of change.

I think that restructuring was the implementation of the 1975 Defence White Paper.

Edited by fv1609

I have scoured the ends of the internet, and as much inbetween, to find reference works on Post-war military markings. I think that those of us with the little knowledge we have are probably as close as it gets to being world experts which is alarming.

As such I feel it would be an idea to try to bring together what we do know to try and make a reference work. My own Land Rovers have numerous markings that vary immensely through the various layers of paint. Some markings are superb works of art, and they should be logged before they get forgotten in time.

Clives corner links to some official publications regarding markings. They may be vague, but a good start.

I should add that other sources would be the articles in the EMLRA magazines done by Clive Elliot (Painting regulations in an 8 part series), John Mastrangelo (Post-war vehicle markings) and Colin Voss (stencils commonly found on Land Rovers).

Unfortunately none of these works show the early unit signs which are what I feel need to be recorded. Does anyone know of any sources for this info?

Cheers for the info all. Good to know I have now two directions or names to search under but I expect South Eastern District will turn up a load of unrelated detritus?

Richard, I don't suppose you have any better images of the SEC 'lion' insignia?

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers for the info all. Good to know I have now two directions or names to search under but I expect South Eastern District will turn up a load of unrelated detritus?

Richard, I don't suppose you have any better images of the SEC 'lion' insignia?

Hi Paul,

I did turn up some info, but did not take note where from, where South Eastern Command was disbanded just after the war and absorbed within Southern Commnad and Eastern Command. Later on and I think this would be in the 1960's, South East District came into being with HQ at Aldershot.

The attached photo is of a shield for a Service competition, the "Tiger" was actually cut out from a waterslide transfer as used on the vehicles, but have just realised that the area around the head has been filled in with black paint, where on yours I think it shows orange. There looks to be a slight variation between this one and the one on your Rover. I do have another one somewhere, that was the self adhesive sticker type and that was plainly different in details.

shield.jpg

That is superb Richard and I really appreciate that :)

Yes my logo is a waterslide type and hopefully I can get replacements from somewhere when the time comes. Shame not to really?

Colour on my logo is orange around the head then a yellow band around the circle edge.

7.62 back then I would guess. I use a Fulton's Improved' No.4 from time to time and it has far more ability than I can match :cool2:

7.62 back then I would guess. I use a Fulton's Improved' No.4 from time to time and it has far more ability than I can match :cool2:

Paul,

We used the SLR at that event, falling plate, Figure 11, etc. Think that was the year I also won the SMG sweepstake.

My first shot was with my father's SMLE at Bisley, I would have been about 13. Good days then.

I am sure someone might be able to find a couple of "tigers head" transfers.