Researching vehicle history?

Bodger Baz

would like to find the history on my Bedford OXC 83YY65.

Write to the RLC MUseum at Deepcut or give them a phone call first. I beleive they charge about £25 for the info. However, as you have a wartime vehicle, information is a bit sparse so don't expect too much.

I recently had a search done on my Humber Pig, which was released from service in 1967, and Croc had a search done at the same time on his Scammell Explorer which was released about 1970ish

In both cases RLC Deepcut did not have the records, apparently prior to 1970, the B Vehicle cards were not kept on vehicles being cast, or certainly very patchy, anything after that point stands a better chance of being found.

Also for the short arms, deep pocket types, if you have more than one search it is £15.00 for each vehicle search after the initial £25.00 fee, so if you know anybody else who would like to find their vehicle history, get together and save a few quid, its less disappointing when you get bugger all back!!

For anyone who has a Humber FV1600, I can usually provide:

Date in Service

Chassis Serial No.

Original Engine No.

Date Struck off Census

Location where struck off

Date of Sale

Sale No.

Lot No.

Price Paid

Date of conversions, re-purchase etc

Unfortunately I do not have details of Units that used them. But in the case of pigs often I can source a picture of it.

i seem to remember you can research archives to find history on a military vehicle? but can't for life of me remember who and how i would go about it?

Cheers

Bazz

You may be thinking of Beverley in Yorkshire, unfortunatly its now closed, and records are believe stored at Donnington.

Tony rightly mentions RLC Deepcut as worth trying.

You may be thinking of Beverley in Yorkshire, unfortunatly its now closed, and records are believe stored at Donnington.

Tony rightly mentions RLC Deepcut as worth trying.

I think you will find that the records from Beverley museum are now at Deepcut, it was the vehicle exhibits that were moved to Donnington.

I'm not sure if the British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland holds the same information as Deepcut, I don't think it does, but if you can supply a chassis number, model type and in some cases sales order number (!) plus £17:63 Mr. Alan Pritchard, Archive Manager, may be able to supply you with a copy of a vehicles 'build sheet'. Expect to wait as this service is provided by volunteers. Being the BCVM it can only provide information about British made vehicles including those supplied to the MoD and the WD.

If you go down this route let us know how you get on.

http://bcvm.co.uk/

Edited by 6 X 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a reply back from deepcut. £25.00 to say they do not have the record card for my wife's explorer (1951) because it was probably struck off charge pre 1970's at a time when the Army didn't keep redundant record cards.and another letter to say that they don't have a record card for my Eager Beaver. Although this probably wasn,t Struck off charge until the late 80's early 90's. Suggested I try R.E. Museum Gillingham....They want nearly £50 to do a search.... bl00dy ridiculous....

Edited by antarmike

Just had a reply back from deepcut. £25.00 to say they do not have the record card for my wife's explorer (1950) because it was probably struck off charge pre 1970's at a time when the Army didn't keep redundant record cards.and another letter to say that they don't have a record card for my Eager Beaver. Although this probably wasn,t Struck off charge until the late 80's early 90's. Suggested I try R.E. Museum Gillingham....They want nearly £50 to do a search.... bl00dy ridiculous....

Must admit to one reason I've not been down this route. £25.00 and the change of gaining nowt. :sweat: