Polish Army Museum, Warsaw

It seems fate smiled on me. Having found out I was going to miss War and Peace as work had scheduled me to be out of the country, I thought I was going to miss out. The day before heading home however, I found out that the hotel I'd been booked into was 10 minutes walk away from the Polish Army Museum.

The museum charts the history of the Polish military from swords and suits of armour all the way to both sides of WW2.

Here are some photos from my visit.

Note : The "Kubus" is an armoured car made by locals in August 1944 for the Warsaw Uprising. It transported 8-12 men with two machine guns. Underneath it's a Chevrolet truck 157. It was deployed along with a captured APC to sieze the University of Warsaw.

DSCF5139.jpg

DSCF5140.jpg

DSCF5141.jpg

DSCF5145.jpg

DSCF5146.jpg

DSCF5147.jpg

DSCF5150.jpg

DSCF5152.jpg

DSCF5154.jpg

DSCF5158.jpg

More photos.

The T-55's are both the Polish variants - first the T-55AMS, and then the T-55U.

The OT-64 is the SKOT variant developed jointly by Poland and Czechoslovakia.

The DUKW is not actually a DUKW, but instead a BAV (Zil 485).

The structure at the bottom is a Nebelwerfer.

DSCF5180.jpg

DSCF5185.jpg

DSCF5186.jpg

DSCF5188.jpg

DSCF5192.jpg

DSCF5194.jpg

DSCF5199.jpg

DSCF5202.jpg

DSCF5203.jpg

DSCF5205.jpg

Edited by Lauren Child

Some highlights of the inside of the museum.

The museum has a large display of medeivel swords, armour and sheilds. This is darkended, and I hadn't been able to read the (Polish) sign saying no flash photography. I got a couple of photos before it was explained to me.

There is also a significant display of what I would call napoleonic era uniforms and militaria, but I didnt get many photos of this.

There is a large WW2 display. Shown here are some Polish resistance artifacts (inluding intelligence on the V1 and V2 rockets, and what I assume is a Polish workshop for making Sten guns), and an interesting uniform that appears to be Allied, but uses the german style helmets.

If you are planning on visiting, I can highly recommend it, but wait a couple of months as the signage is just being converted to show English as well. This should illuminate some truly unique exhibits to those of us who don't speak/read Polish.

DSCF5217.jpg

DSCF5223.jpg

DSCF5225.jpg

DSCF5245.jpg

DSCF5248.jpg

DSCF5249.jpg

DSCF5256.jpg

DSCF5259.jpg