Yet Another Ward La France restoration project.

Stormin

Hope not too many people are getting bored with Ward La France projects taking over the forum.

Mine eventually got picked up today and delivered to it's temporary new home.

First two pictures are in Wales. Last is in Lancashire.

I can recommend the haulier TW Bowler of Marple for anyone in the North.

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No starter was fitted as collected. Not having heard the vehicle run I thought it a good idea to turn the engine over by hand first of all.

There is a starting dog fitted on the crank pully which lines up with the original hole in the front crossmember. The 101 Starting handle was just long enough to reach and engage with the starter dog. Unfortunately the winch rope made it a tight and awkward fit. Even with the decompression lever open I wasn't able to turn the engine over.

I decided to fit the starter supplied with the vehicle and give that a go. Low and behold with a few sparks from temporary jump leads the engine truned over. First with decompressor open then whilst closed.

Discovering the floor mounted starter button was seized put paid to any further progress for the day. Floor mounted button has been removed and freed off at home this evening ready for wiring in tomorrow.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

The fit of the starter crank handle on the Ward may be the same as on the GMC as in you first have to un-spool all the winch cable from the drum then the handle will lay on or be just a bit above the winch drum to allow you to put the crank rod into the end of the crankshaft , So its the very last resort to use a crank handle on a WWII GMC or Ward? winch equiped vehicle , Jumping or bumping much perfered if the stater fails .

Edited by abn deuce

The fit of the starter crank handle on the Ward may be the same as on the GMC as in you first have to unspoll all the winch cable from the drum then the handle will lay on or be just a bit above the winch drum to allow you to put the crank rod into the end of the crankshaft , So its the very last resort to use a crank handle on a WWII GMC or Ward? winch equiped vehicle , Jumping or bumping much perfered if the stater fails .

Unfortunately the free spool doig clutch is seized at the moment. Looks like just removing a few layers would be enough to get clearance. Hopefully never need to put the starting handle near it again.

Very nice, very nice indeed. I will follow this one with great interest.:)

What Cummins motor is fitted?

If anyone can tell me the model of Cummins motor and any information I'd be very pleased to here. Here's some more pictures of the Cummins.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

Norman, have a think about replacing that top hose with perhaps a metal section and two heavier short rubber/neporene bends - that *&%$£& corrugated stuff almost cost me a Cummins 220!!

Tony

Definately on the list to do. Looks ugly anyway and I need get some bottom hoses sorted out as well.

According to the picture in my "New Thompson Repair and Tune-up Manual of 1949" (even down to the now-redundant dynamo bracket), that is a Model H-600, which is a really nice period motor :-D

It is a 672 cu inch engine, 4 7/8" bore with a lovely long 6" stroke. Compression ratio is 17-1.

Max. automotive output (unless you've got a supercharger tucked away on the right hand side - model HS-600) is a miserly 150hp at 1800 rpm, which Tootallmike, when he has finished wedding duties, may have something to say about.......:shake:

The only tiny tiny niggling doubt is that there was also a K model (see your serial no.plate), but this was a massive 6 3/4" stroke and 9" bore (1932 cu inch) so I'm sure this engine would not fit into the WLF. No other info on that model.

On a positive note, I'm sure it will slog down to about 600rpm in true 'big Cummins' style :rofl:

Tony

OK, the only other niggling doubt is that the photo does not have a model against it, and the spec also lists the Model NH. But it is certainly not the model NH that I know from late 50's, and I can't see them totally redesigning the engine with 3 separate heads and keeping the same model desgnation....

The NH spec shows 6" bore and 5 1/8" stroke with displacmnt 743 cu ich. No power output given. I'm still certain it is a Model H.

Sort of confirms my worst fears about the engine being a plodder. The original petrols revved to 2400rpm with max speed of 45mph. 1800rpm is going to struggle to get the vehicle to 35mph!

Anyone know of a higher ratio transfer box for a Ward La France?

According to the picture in my "New Thompson Repair and Tune-up Manual of 1949" (even down to the now-redundant dynamo bracket), that is a Model H-600, which is a really nice period motor :-D

It is a 672 cu inch engine, 4 7/8" bore with a lovely long 6" stroke. Compression ratio is 17-1.

Max. automotive output (unless you've got a supercharger tucked away on the right hand side - model HS-600) is a miserly 150hp at 1800 rpm, which Tootallmike, when he has finished wedding duties, may have something to say about.......:shake:

The only tiny tiny niggling doubt is that there was also a K model (see your serial no.plate), but this was a massive 6 3/4" stroke and 9" bore (1932 cu inch) so I'm sure this engine would not fit into the WLF. No other info on that model.

On a positive note, I'm sure it will slog down to about 600rpm in true 'big Cummins' style :rofl:

Tony

Thanks for the information so far Tony.

Are you sure the bore and stroke aren't reversed on that K model. Surely stroke would be larger than bore?

May need to pick your brains on the injection side of things when I come to try and start it again.

Just googled Cummins Model H and come up with this manual on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1942-Cummins-Model-H-Series-Diesel-Engine-Manual-WWII_W0QQitemZ110288776936QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20080912?IMSfp=TL0809121110005r37321

The posted picture seems to show an engine with three cylinder heads, Gardner Style.

Although this is for a presumably later model 1942 engine.

Exactly my thoughts. I've scanned the page in but cannot reduce file size to post it, due to glitch in computer at present. Will keep trying.

Looks to be a common rail injector system, injector worked off camshaft by pushrod. The book has several pages on injection system and timing and other stuff.

I'm sure the H-600 was used in some wartime MVs but can't recall what at present. Anyone?

This book definitely shows your engine in the pic. Above it lists the Model H-600 and a Model AA-600 (4" bore, 5" stroke, 377 cu inch and 100hp at 2200rpm). The Model K is listed a few pages on, and is not that one.

It can't be the H according to the manual you've found, so possibly the AA? More revs, even less guts!!!!!

Got the pic to fit at last.

The H-600 is an 11 litre, the NH is 12.2 litre and the AA is 6.2 litre.

As a very rough guide ('cos modern engines have shorter stroke therefore will be v.slightly longer for same capacity?), a modern C (8 litre) will only just fit the WLF, a modern 6B (5.9 litre) will go in with several inches to spare.

This should give you an idea, but I suspect it must be an AA-600. The auxilliaries look identical though :confused:

You could contact Cummins Tehnical (John Christiansen) at Wellingborough, on 01933 67220 - if you email some pics he might be able to help.

Cummins01.jpg

Hi Norman -

Haven't seen this thread before so welcome to the ever increasing WLF owners club -

Are they the Wards young Jack was looking at - if so I studied the pictures in detail and I must say from what I could see - the bits restored have been done to a tidy standard.

I shall follow this restoration with interest and good luck in your efforts.

Markheliops